Saturday, December 28, 2013

A Little Philosophy in the Mix

The Prince and Other WritingsIn college, I had at least two classes where we discussed Machiavelli's The Prince: Western Civilization and Political Philisophy. I realize now that in my philosophy class we did read all of the Prince.

The Prince is one of those books that every reader should read at least once. I am not sure why I felt the need to read it again. There are great comments and thoughts on morality, political beliefs and right and wrong.  However, this version has a great introduction, notes, and comments section. If you have never read/discussed Machiavelli, I highly recommend this version.

While everyone has their own thoughts and beliefs on Machiavelli, I think he was revolutionary for his time on questioning the faith morality and mainstream political ideals.

I leave you with some of the more famous quotes from The Prince to ponder.

Happy Reading!


“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.” 
― Niccolò MachiavelliThe Prince

“I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it.” 
― Niccolò Machiavelli

“There is no other way to guard yourself against flattery than by making men understand that telling you the truth will not offend you.” 
― Niccolò MachiavelliMachiavelli Niccolo : Prince

“The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.” 
― Niccolò MachiavelliThe Prince

“There are three classes of intellects: one which comprehends by itself; another which appreciates what others comprehend; and a third which neither comprehends by itself nor by the showing of others; the first is the most excellent, the second is good, and the third is useless.” 
― Niccolò MachiavelliThe Prince

No comments:

Post a Comment