Monday, April 29, 2013

When a book changes your perception of the world...

Half the Sky is a real life look at the horrors of the oppression of women across the world. It was a truly moving and inspiring book, yet it was one of the hardest books I have read in a long time. As you can see from the blog,  I started the book and had to take a break in order to finish. All in all it was a life changing book and makes me want to do more for the our  local community but even our world.
Throughout my life, I have seen documentaries , read news articles, and just in general tried to be exposed to the greater problems of the world. I know we are blessed and fortunate to live in the United States. I've always tried to give back and support the bigger picture. This is hard sometimes to remember and grasp. After reading this book and I've sure watching the documentary, it is hard to believe that in America slavery has been gone for almost 150 years and women have had the right to vote for over 90 years, yet there are huge amounts of oppression, slavery and rape of women going on across the world. 

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women WorldwideHalf the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Across the World was a close hand account of women and their inspiring stories primarily in Southeast Asia, China, India, the Middle East, and Africa. Nicholas Kristof an Sheryl WuDunn share amazing stories of women surviving families who disown them, rape and sex trafficking, child marriages, and many other horrors that are still happening now. This was written in 2009 with fairly recent stories. More than that great NGO are named as well and a call to action is given.

This week I plan to spend some time doing some time researching all of the NGO to decide how I want to make a difference. I love the idea of supporting a girls education. Additionally, the idea of supporting global micro-financing for women has been shown to  greatly improve the quality of life.   

Below are many amazing links which I think will help you explore Half The Sky. Go out and make a difference. 


Micro-financing- Kiva             GlobalGiving
Education- Room to Read ( There are many, many more)

Ted Talks


Happy Reading! Off to The Audacity of Hope


No comments:

Post a Comment