Tuesday, December 31, 2013

100th book.. A Classic Fantasy

The Return of the King (Lord of the Rings, #3)Tolkien is truly brilliant. After reading the entire Lord of the Ring series, I understand why many people credit  Tolkien with the modern fantasy genre. The Return of the King was an epic end to the Lord of the Rings saga.

Like Two Towers, TRTK is told over two parallel books of Aragon story and Frodo's final trip to Mount Doom. The epic battle scene are amazing on screen, however, unlike the Harry Potter final battle scenes, these were a little harder to follow. I think it boils down to the vast amount of characters in the books. Don't get me wrong. I thought this was an excellent book; I just had to work  hard to stay focused and keep up with characters.

Any true fantasy reader should read The Lord of Ring series at least once. It is a good read and shows where so many fiction writers pulled some of their inspiration. Tolkien took the time to develop a language and back story for every race in Middle Earth as well as lay out many more details in the appendices. While some are better than others, make sure you read those as well.

With this post, I am saying farewell to the 100 books of 2013. I've read over 31,000 pages and spent countless hours reading, but it has been so so much fun. I can't wait to see what the next year holds!

Happy Reading and Have a Wonderful New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment