Sunday, March 31, 2013

Listening to the Quite Voice Within

Same Kind of Different as MeEvery so often you find a book that reminds you that every person you meet in life can impact your future. There is sometimes a quite still voice reminding you to smile or wave or even just listen. Small acts or in Ron Halls and Denver's case large actions cause amazing, unforeseeable actions to occur.

Yesterday, I finished the true account of Ron Hall and Denver recount the unlikely meeting in a mission home for the homeless in Fort Worth, Texas in Same Kind of Different as Me.  With great character development, immense attention to historical detail, and an overall feel good story, I was left with a smile on my face and a reminder that God does amazing things everyday.

While this book as a whole has a happy ending, there are hard parts as Denver lives a rough life from almost Day 1. Deborah Hall, who brings these men together dies, but brings great good to the city.

In my youth and college days, Iwas involved with work in justice and homelessness and poverty. This book spurred me to look into the justice movements to ensure I was spending enough time supporting causes I truly cared about each day. I hope you all do the same.


Happy Easter and Happy Reading!

(Finishing Maus tonight and then onto April Books!)

No comments:

Post a Comment