Wednesday, March 6, 2013

A Modern Take on Hardship

1221381After owning Cormac McCarthy's The Road for the greater part of four years, I finally took a few days to read this book. This book was weird, great, sad, dystopian, science fiction, and all together hard to put down.
While I am still debating if I actually enjoyed the book, it is must read for any literary lover. For those of us that read The Grapes of Wrath in high school, I would highly recommend this shorter book to still understand the love, suffering, desperation, and heartbreak characters can face in a novel. After the states as we know them are burnt, Papa and son find all in their survival in each other as they journey down the road to the coast.

I am not sure if it is proper to compare this novel to The  Grapes of Wrath, but as a young high school student, Steinbeck's plot and characters were hard to reach and grasp. McCarthy leads us to care about the man and his boy while they suffer intolerable conditions. The side references to modern America and even Tennessee made me smile.  

While this is not my favorite book I have read, I think it safely has a place as a new classic. Go out and explore this great book!

On to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (AKA my favorite besides the last) 

Happy Reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment