Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Not So Adventure Book- Swift Critique on the English Life

Gulliver's TravelsSwift's most famous work as a satire to human nature can be seen in Gulliver's Travels. In this account of Gulliver's travels to far off strange lands of giant humans, tiny people, talking horses, floating islands, and magic spirits, Swift takes a hard look and critique and some of human nature's biggest faults, prides, and questions.

These life questions of pride, family, power, government, and more were apparent in the early eighteenth century when this book was first written. Today, almost 300 years later, many of these issues are still a vital part of our culture.

This book is a work of fiction, that is satirically enhanced due to eighteenth century political climate. However, the far-out thoughts, crazy ideas and political undertone. Make this a one time read for me.

I am glad I read this book. I think any person interested in history, literature, or politics would also like this book. However, I do not think it is for everyone.

(Still reflecting on this book. I may add more later)

Happy Reading! March  Books coming this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment