Monday, April 1, 2013

Playing a Game of Cat and Maus

Maus, Vol. 1: My Father Bleeds HistoryI admit I have never really taken the world of graphic novels seriously. When the book, Maus kept appearing on list of books you should read before your 30 or top 100 list I was intrigued and added it to my list. (For those of you that have not read all of my post, this was one large way I created many of my 100 books. After reading this survivors tale of a Polish family's attempt to escape the Holocaust, I was completely intrigued and impressed at the power of Artem Spiegelman words and pictures. He artfully portrays his parents fight for life in the 1940s as they hid, bartered, fought, and survived Germans taking over Poland and wiping out the Jewish population.

I read many books about the Holocaust both Fiction, memoirs  and historical accounts. The comics juxtaposed with the tough subjects make this book the Pultizer Prize winning novel it became. All in all the story is easy to connect with as parental relationships, marriage and lost make the loses in the story human.

 After reading the book, I realized there is a Maus Part 2, I think this will be on my list this year as I want to know how the story ends. (Here is the link for the complete set).

All in All a great book.

Happy April Fools and Happy Reading...

Off to explore some JK Rowling...

No comments:

Post a Comment