Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Solving One of Life Mysteries... What Color is Your Parachute?

What Color Is Your Parachute? 2013: A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career-ChangersI admit that after years of hearing about the book What Color is Your Parachute? I was a little skeptical of this book. How can one book truly answer all of these great questions that we go over with our students day after day?
After reading just 2 or 3 chapters into the book, I quickly realized that all of my career services mentors and peers have read this book and use its advice weekly. (Ok, ok I get it, I should have read this book my first year of grad school)

I come from a university career services background. While career services have their place and should be used to their fullest potential, I highly, strongly (insert any other word) would recommend this book for anyone who is even thinking am I in the right field, can I find a better job, do I need to go back to school?

This book is updated every year with relevant job searching news and information. I read the 2013 edition in its 41st year. All in all, it is an amazing resource for the casual job seeker, to the person looking to jump into the hidden job market or even the social media world of job hunting.  I think I am going to break my mold and right an additional blog post about my top 10 takeaways from this book over the next day or two. 

All in all this was a fabulous book. I am so glad I read it and was able to reaffirm so much of what I tell my students everyday. You have to know yourself to be able to show your best self to potential employers. Everyone has strengths. It takes time to articulate them.

I hope to post many more thoughts on this book soon, but I encourage you all to read this book soon.

(PS: No I am not done with the Flower exercise, but I am starting it. I have no plans to leave my current job or even look around. I love where I work. I am read this book and am completing the homework as professional development for my career. )

Happy Reading!

Onto A Separate Peace (Tuesday with Morrie is slightly postponed)

No comments:

Post a Comment