Friday, January 4, 2013

The Tiger and the Bird- Week 1 Books

Like many avid readers, I do not like to read books after they become movies. There are a few exceptions to this rule that I am sure will be discussed as this adventure continues. However, the first two books on my list were both savored before the silver screen took over their portrayal.

The Life of Pi  by Yann Martel started this reading adventure. The book which is a great adventure of its own carries Pi Patel across the Pacific ocean on a lifeboat with an assorted "crew" after his ship was wrecked. I encourage everyone to read this book of preservation and pure moral and life saving courage. As with many books, be patient as the characters and story develop in part one.
(A separate post will highlight each book in more of a review fashion)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee was pulled off the shelf and started this week. The first time I read this book I was sixteen in my tenth grade Honors English class in Tennessee. Now as a young adult in Baltimore, I know my thoughts, feelings and perspectives on the world and this book have changed. For those of you unfamiliar with this book, Scout Finch tells the story of the Summers her brother, Jem,  and friend, Dill, investigating the wonders of the town's reclusive Boo Radley.  Scout's father provides the moral compass on how to navigate tough issues of the day especially race and poverty. This book is a classic that everyone should read in their life. There is much to be discovered in these 300 pages.

Both of these books have been changed into a movie. I have yet to see Life of Pi, but To Kill a Mockingbird is another classic movie now. I encourage you to read the book first and create your own movie in your head; then if you are interested you can see what the screenwriters, directors and producers had in mind!


No comments:

Post a Comment