Saturday, January 5, 2013

Lost At Sea

4214Could you survive over 200 days on a life boat with only a Bengal Tiger for company? In Yann Martel's Life of Pi, Pi Patel loses everything and in an shipwreck that it is sending his family to a new life. While reading the book, I was in the boat with Pi wishing for land or at least a sea turtle to come across his path.

 This journey led me to question and rethink what do we really need to survive. Are we all born with the same survival instincts? In this world of 24-7 technology and comfort, I am not sure I nor anyone I know would survive. I guess their is always fake reality TV to see if we can challenge ourselves but an end is always insight. Now I am a little more grateful for my surroundings and have a better understanding of the world, but I am not sure I will truly ever relate to those in Pi shoes until I walk in them. (Pray you or I never will.)

Pi shows us how he moved on and grew from great adversity. While you probably will never have to face a life threatening, sea-faring journey, I hope you take the time to read and reflect on Life of Pi and what really matters in life. Adversity makes us stronger and leads us to become better a better person as long as you learn from your past and not dwell on it!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment