Thursday, November 28, 2013

Transcendentalism Up Close- HDT

Walden and Civil DisobedienceHenry David Thoreau (HDT) was one of the founding thought provokers behind the Transcendentalism movement along with his good friend Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The idea that literature can be both a moral compass and a spiritual guide comes out of this moment. While this was a time of enlighten philosophical thought and new literary approaches in the 1830s, the writings of this era proved to be influential to various leaders for years to come.

That is enough of a history lesson this morning, I spent the last few days reading Walden (and re-skimming Civil Disobedience).  I forgot how much of a difference reading a deep thought provoking book in a classroom setting helps. While I was able to read the book, and I think glean through most of it, after taking a quick skim over Cliff notes I appreciate talking out deep/philosophical books out as you read them.

Walden is HDT sabbatical into Walden Pond. While the book is told in a seasonal cycle, he was there for a few years. During this time he emphasizes personal growth, spiritual development, and living the simple life. While there are plenty of literary analysis of Walden, I leave that for the experts. It was a hard read, but if you like philosophy read it. In other news, Civil Disobedience is something everyone should read at least once in their life.

Currently, I am reading Middlesex at the moment.

It is currently, 7 AM in my hometown. On this Thanksgiving morning, I needed to blog early before all the crazy wonderfulness of Thanksgiving starts. I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving!







1 comment:

  1. This is one of those books where I can see what he's saying, but also that you can't take it too far! But I do love his writing...some of the phrasing and literary elements usage.

    ReplyDelete