Friday, November 1, 2013

A Closer Look at Racism

"Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial IdentityIn graduate school,  I had the opportunity to read many books and scholarly articles on student development theory. I explored racism, sexism, and many other ideas that students (or adults) in general grapple with in this coming of age time of life. While I could go into detail about Astin, Erickson, Cross, Helms theories on student/ self/racial identity  development theories, I think it is more important to realize they are there.

This week I decided to read "Why are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?" by Beverley Tatum. While it brought up many of the ideas that I study, it brought up real issues of racial tension and white privilege that start at a very young age. I am not sure that this book was  full of brand new information for me because of articles I have read in the past, but it is always good to be reminded. I liked that it presented research and action items without being to text-booky.

Tatum has made much progress for the community. However, much has changed since the 1990s. Racism is still part of the American culture. Students still have major discrepancies in the education system, but the more aware we are, the more change can be created.

If anyone works with people directly or wants more context in how they deal with people, I highly recommend this book!

November book list is about to come out!


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment