Saturday, November 16, 2013

A New Look at Satire

Don't move to Seattle, you can take a cruise to Antarctica, online personal assistants may be questionable,  nd mom's will do anything for their kids. These are just a few of the takeaways from Maria Semple's Where'd You Go Bernadette.
Where'd You Go, Bernadette
Semple uses tongue and cheek satire to address a few serious issues while creating a memorable story line with a few bizarre twist and notable characters. Bernadette and her husband Elgin move to Seattle. Soon after they have Bee who is brilliant. When her mother goes a little crazy and does not always adapt to Seattle,  their trip to Antarctica changes their family forever. The first 30-40 pages were a little scatter and I was skeptical. In the end, this turned out to be a great book. While I wouldn't put it in my top ten, it is definitely worth a read.

Currently, I am working hard to finish LOTR: Two Towers. I have 3 weeks off total before the end of the year so I think I still will be right on track!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment