Monday, November 25, 2013

Memory Palaces

It is has been a busy few weeks over on my end, and I am finally catching up on both reading and blogging.

Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering EverythingThis weekend, I finished a fascinating read: Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Josh Foer. While I had heard great things about this book, I wasn't quite sure what it was about. Literally, Josh Foer recalls his personal journey into the world of competitive memory competitions and expanding memory power with simple tricks (see Memory Palaces). There are tangents throughout the book, but the story and concepts taught in the book are pretty fascinating. It confirmed for me that humans are far more capable of many things than we make our selves out to be. 

This is not a fictional account. Josh spends a year training for these elite memory competitions where competitors memorize decks of cards, poems, faces, random information, and much more. It is a pretty quick, non-typical read. It is a great read, but I could have used less tangents. 

I just finished The Art of Racing in the Rain and am deep into Walden and Civil Disobedience. 

Happy Reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment