Tuesday, September 24, 2013

When I Don't Agree with Mainstream.



The Kite RunnerIf you haven't noticed, I like to read. For the most part, I tend to read fairly mainstream books, classics, and a little bit of everything in between. Sometimes I stray and find a treasure. For the most part, I like a book to represent humanity but still end well. Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner which has been praised universally was a rough read this past week.

While the writing was one of the better books I have read this year, the story and up and down roller coaster of the plot left me disliking Amir and the overall climate of the book. The book reminds us that there is an innate good and evil and each of us and there is incredible power in forgiveness.

The Kite Runner has  received praise from all over. I am not sure what I was expecting, but it was not what I received. Read this book, but be warned it is not all sunshine and rainbows. It is a critical look at two different worlds of pre 9/11 Afghanistan and even pre/post Russian Afghanistan.

I am about to finish Bossypants. It is hilarious! Love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment