Sunday, June 23, 2013

Redefining Success



Outliers: The Story of SuccessI come from an education and communication background. I like exploring hard issues and looking at new ways to find solutions. Malcolm Gladwell Ouliers: The Story of Success was a truly outstanding book. Gladwell takes stories from everyday life and shows how we need to refine our notions of success, wealth, and even to some chance.


Let me start by saying I loved this book. Malcolm is an amazing writer with a great ability to talk about hard issues with stories. However, I didn't think anything he said was earth shattering. Stable homes present more stable environments. Stable home environments produce cultures of success. We are all impacted by our culture for generations. Hard work pays off.

Gladwell illustrates that great people are often back-up by some pretty important life events that led them on the path of success. Even if they grew up in a simple urban home in the South or Midwest.

Anyone interested in better grasping the idea of cause and effect and life impacts should read this book. The world is not black and white and neither should our definition of success.


(Gladwell's blog is also awesome!)

Happy Reading!

Photo credit: Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. I read this recently too and liked it. Have you read any of his others? I glanced through and ordered The Tipping Point to teach in AP Composition next year and then the class was scheduled to someone else :/ But I'm still going to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Jennine. Thanks for reading. Yes I loved this book. I just picked up Tipping Point as well. I am trying to decide if I can find a place for it in the last 50 books. I think this would have been a great AP English book!

    ReplyDelete