Monday, June 17, 2013

So I read Cat's Cradle

I just realized I never wrote my blog on Cat's Cradle.

Cat's Cradle
Photo credit: Goodreads
Kurt Vonnegut wrote an interesting book on human nature, theology and abandoning American nature.


After WWII, John the narrator goes out to find stories about the Felix and the creation of the atomic bomb. Felix has since died, but his children then provide the backdrop for this story. I am not going to lie this book was weird and I am struggling to write this blog (hence I put it off).

An entire motley crew follows John down to the fictional island of San Lorenzo as they search for the eldest son, Frank. Angela, Newt, and Frank all split a hazardous substance that their father invented at his death. Cat's Cradle goes on to lead the reader on a whirl-wind trip of a new theology, loss government ruling, and questioning of the morals in grain in human beings.

In all this was a thought provoking book. The idea that people can be so adapt to follow a ruler and ideas with no foundation is scary. America is comfortable. This book pushes you to think outside of your comfort-zone.


Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment