Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Ghost Story within a Classic

6149Well, there are books that you hear about your entire life that people just tell you to read. Toni Morrison's Beloved was one of those for me even though I had no idea what it was about other than post civil war slavery.

Over the weekend, I took a break from the Shining (yes it is finished now) and read Beloved. While it was an interesting story, I am not going to stay I liked it. First, I was really confused. The story jumps around quite a bit and the characters jump around in who controls the narration. After reading a complete character list the story made much more sense.

The story takes a dark turn as the house 217 is haunted by "Beloved" the daughter of Sethe. Sethe and her daughter Denver live in isolation in a town post Civil War and work through the past that "Beloved" brings about. It is weird and hard to read at times. While the character development is amazing at times, it is just an okay book. The haunting is a little weird as well.

Not my favorite. I just finished the Shining and will blog soon.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment