Saturday, August 17, 2013

Learning to Love Yourself First

The Color Purple In the middle of a truly inspiring week, I managed to (almost) read Alice Walker's The Color Purple . When I first decided to read this book, I took it at blind faith that it was going to be a good book because of the press and honors around it. Within the first 20 pages, I was hooked. While the southern colloquialism took a moment to adjust, the letter format made this book a great quick read.

My heart broke for Cecil and Nettie. Shug was a truly captivating character. Alice Walker did not steer away from any issue of the early 20th century black culture. From abuse to violence, to overcoming adversity, Walker addresses many of these tough issues and leaves  the reader with a compelling story. I highly recommend this book to everyone. It is worth a read once in your life time.

Happy Reading!

Starting Wolf Hall soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment