Saturday, August 3, 2013

A Not So Common Look at Poverty

The House on Mango StreetI come from a long line of readers. My grandmother was librarian. I grew up with about 8-10 completely full bookcases of books in my house. My dad still gives me books. The House on Mango Street was not originally on my radar but I decided I should read it for dad.

Sandra Cisneros is an amazing writer and brings a great voice to this young girl who experiences poverty and a rather hard life in Chicago. The voice throughout the piece was amazing. Overall, the story would take an interesting turn and you feel like you have a front row seat to this world.

As a whole, this book would still just sit at a 3.5 stars. Great writing, decent plot, but the character development is lacking with an extremely short book. In fact, I had to read carefully to keep track of all of the characters. This is a good quick book. Read if you like to explore the new fiction/ memoir type books!


I just finished The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I'll try to blog again today. Next up- The Hobbit!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment