Thursday, February 14, 2013

Appearances can be deceiving....

So it has been the longest I have gone without posting, but I promise to make it up to  you this week. Life has been full of changes, busy times and new adventures.

6After a little less than a week, I finished reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of  Fire. As always it is a great read, but this is my least favorite of the long books. It is their coming of age story. Harry, Ron and Hermione grow tremendously in this  book and it is not always pretty. Unlike other Harry Potter books, once you read this book once, many details of the plot are no longer memorable.

JK Rowling touches on currently, past, and future issues in this book, however. In blending many issues of Muggles and wizards with historical problems, JK Rowling creates a classic series that will live forever. House-elves  enslavement mimics the real world issues of slavery cultures have battled for centuries. International community corporation is an issue that countries are still trying to cope with in todays world. The struggle for power and good versus evil will never go away. In connecting these real world problems to Harry Potter's magical world, readers can take the time to think critically about these problems that are not always addressed.



In other more personal news, I finally feel like I reached the point where I have read HP 1-4 to many times. The magic excitement is not there. I love them, but I think I am going to retire them for a good 5 years (gasp). I am not ready to say the same for HP 5-7, I think I have only read 6 and 7 maybe 3 times.

In other news, I need to get to reading. While it looks like this month is going to be down to 8 books.

My plan is to read this weekend/week Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood and  I am American (and So Can You!).

My next post will be about Lent and The Purpose Driven Life (and a few blogs).


Happy Reading and Happy Valentines Day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment