Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Friendship, Ya-Yas, and the South

137791Everyone it seems has heard of the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood. I decided that I would take a quick reading detour and read this book this weekend. First, I am so glad I never saw this movie in full. Creating the pictures of Vivi, Caro, Teensy, and Necie with Sidda and the rest of the kids growing up.
This book resonated with me on so many levels. There is nothing like true friends who have been with you since the beginning. I grew up in a small town and had great friends from an early age. I also watch my siblings and parents grow up with amazing friends. While there were dramatic middle school and high school moments, I remember most girls night, midnight swims, late-night phone conversations, pep rallies  beach trips, football games, and convention trips. Although we are not all as close as we once were and we all live all over the United States now, we can look back and treasure these moments.

I am not sure this idea of lifelong never moving friendship exist today that existed in the Ya Ya world. I grew up in a small town and maybe some of the people stay the same or don't evolve, but people move and change. Friends grow and change. Although I had great hometown friends, my college friends are just as impactful and meaningful. We supported each other as we took on one of life's greatest challenges and changes:Growing Up. Friend groups merge and change, people change and get married. The memories and bonds shared help you learn who you are, who you want to be, and how you perceive the world.

Sidda craves the close friendship her mother has with the Ya-Yas, yet she does't seem to recognize her work team of Wade and May are there to support her through thick and thin. Take a minute to look at the people you spend the most time with and are closest too, they are hopefully your biggest supporters even if you do not recognize this.

Love is another huge theme in this book. Women in the south seem to marry to create a family instead of the men they truly love. Sidda family seems especially prone to this action. While life hands this family some deep dark issues and problems, know one ever addresses them with the children. They are to young to fragile and yet are scarred for life. Sidda almost throws her marriage away. This book is now 15 years old and the stories are now almost 50-60 years old. In todays time,  I hope we have gotten better addressing bigger issues with friends, family and children  Depression is real. Alcoholism is real. Issues can not be pushed under the rug. Finding ways to address these issues early with friends and family and including the children can prevent a lifetime of scarring. ( Not scientific, well maybe I look for a source later)

All in all, I thought I was jumping into a light happy read. Instead, I feel in love with the characters and jump in my seat at the issues addressed in this book. Read and enjoy this book and take a closer look at 1940s-1980s Southern culture in Louisiana. Explore this classic tale of faith, family, and friendship.


Still Reading the Purpose Driven Life and just started I am America...

Happy Reading!

(PS- So this blog post is a little jumpy, but that is how I felt about this book)

No comments:

Post a Comment