Sunday, April 28, 2013

I am not sure how this one skipped High School Required Reading...

295Well as everyone can tell, I am a little behind on reading. So I finished Treasure Island last night and was so impressed. Let me say it was not the best book I ever read, nor was it the deepest book I ever read, but it was so much fun.  I laughed and finally discovered where so many TV/movie life references come from.


Any true pirate lover has to read this book. (PS I am pretty sure Long John Silver the restaurant name came from this silly little book.)  No Way...

All in All it is a fantastic book written as a means for Robert Louis Stevenson to entertain his son. The target audience was young boys, what was created were accounts of many of the first portrayals of pirates in literature and later movies.

When Billy Bones leaves young Jim in possession of a map, the Squire and Dr. Trelawney decide they will go on a quest to find the treasure. In Bristol, the squire recruits soon to be pirates on this voyage across the Atlantic. The hunt for the treasure and the fight for survival on the island is your adventure to discover.

All in all it is a great fun book. Pieces of character development were missing outside of Silver and Jim. All female voice and presence is lost. These factors together, I believe, create cause for it sometimes being skipped in reading curriculum.


All in all good book. I am off to finish Half the Sky..

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment