Monday, April 15, 2013

Learning to Lead or Should I Say Lean

I first heard of Sheryl Sandberg after watching her TED Talk a few months back.

  I was a little distracted, but knew this was a great. Then a few weeks later, I watched the video again without any distractions with my roommate. I was empowered, amazed and questioning my life.  Some time that week, I discovered Lean In was coming out as an entire book and I immediately added it to my 100 list adventure.

Just what exactly is Lean In and why is there so much buzz around this book? Finally, someone is speaking out and saying the cultural revolution that was fought for centuries is not over; in fact, we are close to heading in the wrong direction. Worse than that, study upon study is showing that men and women and viewed completely different in the typical business workforce. I have so many thoughts, issues and opinions on this topic. I did not agree 100% with every that was said in this book, but I did laugh out loud at parts, my heart broke at others, and I did question parts of life at others. One of the best part of this book was the real and honest conversation of creating a real life partner and having honest conversations about bringing kids into your career. Brilliant advice and empowering. Everyone should read  this book. It is not just for women or those in business or leaders. Everyone has something to add, share, learn, and gain from this amazing book.


One of my favorite quotes from the book is something like:
Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead"Discussions change minds, minds change behaviors, behaviors change institutions...." Lean-In has created a create Facebook community along with great support to change how women and men support each other, talk about these issues, and discuss gender differences. To see other great quotes from the book check out this link.


Happy Reading...(Onto Half the Sky and Harry Potter 7)

(I started this blog at lunch on Monday...life is so precious. praying and thinking of all of those tragically impacted by the explosions in Boston. Such a sad horrible day as I finished this motivating post.)


For an extended look at my Lean In thoughts check back here, but here is a preview.

As an 8 year old, I figured out how to set of my family computer on the internet. (ok I just really wanted to figure out the answer to my homework, but I did it.) No one everyone ever told me this could be a career until I was almost done with college. Hence I became a statistics and lost my curiosity  in science and math.
I never even thought that men and women had different careers until I realized that many of guy friends were engineering. Now my current career helps all students find internships but I have had the privileged of working with great people help women excel in technology. Women in STEM... new passion to help the next generation.

Balancing a career and family.... well Happy Christmas. My mom, sister and I were on our way back from a movie when I was in high school Christmas day. My mother at this point told me I did not date enough, I was to involved in school, life, and everything else. I was driven, ambitious  My mother told me I would never have a career and a family. I said watch me. While I am not married right now, I can not wait for the day that I have both. I know it will be hard. I know that sacrifices will be made, but I know it can be done. Lean In showed me it was possible even more.

There may be more thoughts including with I ended up in service not in business or politics, but that is all for now..




No comments:

Post a Comment